Educators / Parents Page
Activities for after reading the story:
- What was your favorite part of the story? Why?
- Which character did you like or dislike? Why?
- Did the pictures help you understand the story?
- For example, in The Stitches Fairy, Claire was COURAGEOUS. Explain what courage is. Who helped Claire to be brave?
Claire had her stuffed animal penguin with her throughout the story.
Talk about the favorite toy or blanket that your child loves.
- Look back through book to find the penguin. He is not on every page, but kids love spying him and counting how many times they see him in the story.
- Let your child tell when they want their special friend or blanket.
These prompts are great story starters for oral or written expression:
- Claire is sad when the Stitches Fairy forgets to come. Tell about a time when you were disappointed.
- Penguin sleeps with Claire, goes to the doctor with her and celebrates with her. Tell about your favorite blanket or stuffed animal.
- Claire loves to draw and color. Tell about something you like do.
Arts and Crafts Activity: Edible Fairy Wands
Materials needed: paper plates and cups, pretzel rods, ready-made frosting, sprinkles, ribbon (optional)
- Give each child a plate, paper cup, & pretzel.
- Pour a tablespoon of sprinkles in each cup.
- Assist the child in poking their pretzel into the can of frosting.
- Remove the pretzel from the frosting and dip it into the sprinkles to coat the frosting.
- Tie a ribbon around the pretzel just below the frosting.
- Kids should wave the wand and make a wish before taking their first bite.