General guidelines and ideas for any storybook:
- Snuggle up and get comfortable.
- Read with expression and change your voice to match the characters in the story.
- Turn pages slowly and allow time for kids to look at the illustrations.
- “Google” words, things, or places for images that increase your child’s understanding of the story or vocabulary used.
- Help them make a personal connection to the events in the story.
For example, in The Stitches Fairy, Claire has to have stitches removed and she is afraid. Help your child recall a time when they hurt themselves and required a band-aid or even stitches. Use this as a story starter for written language.